[T3] T3 - update: a noise I'd never heard before

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Apr 3 13:49:38 PDT 2013

In a message dated 4/3/2013 10:38:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
keen_tj at hotmail.com writes:

Anyone have a great solution for permanently securing  J-tubes?  The
standard U-bolt/ring kinda clamps always seem to go loose  and allow a little
rattling after a few warmups;  after one good hot  highway run they need
tightened again, otherwise the tubes rattle where they  meet the muffler piping (I
have an OTT).  I've just put up with this, for  years, through several
different exhaust systems. Is there a better  way?

Add flanges to both sides of the exhaust joint. Since you're not using
stock heat exchangers, or the stock muffler, this isn't a big deal to modify
these parts. A friend of mine found some small muffler clamps to use on his
t-1 based Karmann Ghia. This might be a cheaper alternative.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction