[T3] Distributor Drive Gear

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 14:14:02 PDT 2013

>I wanted to replace by 009 distributor with a stock one and it appears to
be off 180 degrees, ie at number 1 TDC the small "half" is >lined up at 60
degrees.? and as a result I?there is no room for ?distributor with the
vacumn advance. Can I remove the distributor drive >gear at TDC? #1 and
reinsert it at TDC #3 so that the larger half is aligned correctly at 60
degrees or should I just leave well enough >alone? hope this makes sense. kk

No you should change it back to stock, provided you have a good working
distributor with a good vacuum advance, trigger points etc. You may want to
get it rebuilt by Jim Adney first. When I bought a rebuilt motor a few
years back the DD Gear was set up for a Beetle so finally bit the bullet
and re-oriented it after driving like crap for 2 years. Line up your motor
at Top Dead Center for no. 1 per Muir/Haynes/Bentley, pull out the old
distributor. Use the Distributor Drive Shaft removal tool to extract the
Drive Shaft. Study the one photo of the proper orientation in the bentley
for at least 15 minutes - you need to turn the photo sideways to get the
proper orientation as looking at the photo vertically will just make you
install the driveshaft inproperly. Use white grease to keep the washer shim
on the shaft so it doesn't fall into the motor as you Install the drive
shaft. You'll know you got it right because the vacuum can will fit in that
area around 5 o'clock, with just enough wiggle room to fine tune the
timing. Expect to do it about 6 times before you find the exact sweet spot.