[T3] Spitting, sputtering, can't climb a hill

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Aug 4 12:24:47 PDT 2013

In a message dated 8/4/2013 2:43:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
terrieann.schmearer at yahoo.com writes:

Hi everyone. My car is still spitting, sputtering, doesn't like
accelerating. I had my mechanic put the kit on from Jim and asked him to clean  out my
gas tank, fuel lines and filter. I got it back and it ran like a dream  for
three days. Towed it back in and my mechanic said the filter was full of
trash. He replaced it and it ran better, but not perfect, I couldn't get it
home. I U-turned and took it back. I asked him to please clean the lines
again  when he got to it. He did blow them out and said the fuel pump was all
gunky  and trashy. I got it back, he hasn't made up a bill yet, so I'm not
sure what  he did to the fuel pump. I do know he adjusted the valves. It's
still spitting  and sputtering on acceleration. I put the sea foam stuff in the
gas tank and  filled it up and drove it just a little bit. Around the block
a few times. No  hills on my block. It cruises pretty well. If I accelerate
at all it's cuts  out like crazy. If I let off the gas and let it
coast, it's perfect. Any  ideas? I'm at my wits end and my husband is tired
of writing checks for all  the work with no results.

Did either you or your mechanic put in fresh fuel once the tank was
cleaned? Just asking, as this sounds more like crappy fuel (watered down?).  But,
it's possible that some of the trash that got by the filter ended up at  the
injectors (since some of it was found in the pump). Also, you could take a
look at the hoses in the engine bay, and see if any are loose/falling off
or  are split/cracked (the hose to the MPS is kind of known for this
problem). The FI system does not like any "air leaks", and that can cause  problems
if you have a leak. This is something you could do at home  (inspecting the
hoses). You can use WD40 to check for air leaks (the 4 big  hoses at the
IAD, and where they attach to the heads), as it'll bring the idle  speed up
when it finds a spot that's leaking.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction