[T3] Horn Sound

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Aug 4 15:34:10 PDT 2013

On 4 Aug 2013 at 15:19, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Gary's horn question reminded me. When we got a new horn for Clementine we
> got it at ISP west. It is of good quality but it is smaller and dose not
> sound the way I remember the original one sounded.  This new one sounds like
> the one on my wife's Toyota but on the good side it does seem a little
> louder.  The original one sounded like Herbie's horn on all the love bug
> movies.  It's no big deal just wish it sounded like I remember. Has anybody
> noticed this with aftermarket horns compared to the original ones or am I
> just imagining things?

I've never noticed this, probably because I've always had OE horns. I
have some good OE horns here that I've refurbished, if this bothers
you enough.

Hella made our OE horns, and they made horns for many German cars.
Many of those cars got 2 horns, high and low (hoch und tief) pitch,
to give a fuller sound together. If this is a Hella horn, marked
hoch, then it's the wrong pitch, which may be the difference.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org