[T3] flaps

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 17:51:39 PDT 2013

Yes, this is the person who just did the heli-coil job on the case and
re-installed the flaps at the suggestion of the list. Yes I did secure the
bent lug to the lever on the flaps and I did put the spring in place
between the flap and the pivot mechanism on the head, following the bentley
photo, and I did remark that even though I did have the requisite 2mm gap
between the closed flap and the fan housing, it didn't seem to open that
easy and that I'd hoped the thermostat would do its thing to open them.
Well after commuting home from work today it's becoming obvious that I'm
overheating. my commute is 10 miles and I took secondary roads instead of
the highway to see how the car would react at lower speeds. The red light
came on after 10 minutes of neighborhood driving, first as the typical
flickering red light at idle, which I usually get after 1 hour of highway
driving. By the end of my 10 mile ride the red light was coming on solid
red everytime I stopped accelerating and when I got home I smelt the smell
of burning oil and upon opening the engine compartment I felt the heat and
saw the white smoke wafting up out of the top of the engine.

I can't afford to rent a car for another week so I'm going to have to try
and fix this quickly. I'm assuming my best option is to remove the intake
runners and right head cover to expose the flap mechanism and spring etc.
How can one check the functionality of the hardware? I know I can heat up
my thermostat in water to see if it opens, but I don't expect the problem
to be there as it's been working fine until I did this latest job.