[T3] Ethanol in the 71

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Aug 21 07:03:18 PDT 2013

On 20 Aug 2013 at 22:16, Keith Park wrote:

> The 71 has been missing consistently at light throttle around the 2000RPM
> transition range, normally it has some problem in this area but not an
> intermittent miss driving at steady state in 4th.  Ive looked a few things
> over, and leaned it a bit as the gas mileage has been in the toilet lately
> but the only thing I could find was that the Vac can (265) has failed.  That
> might explain the gas mileage, but would having less spark advance under
> light throttle cause an intermittent miss?

No, that slight bit of extra advance while crusing is something you
can only notice if you're keeping very close track of your gas
mileage, and even then it's hard to be sure. Many people drive with
bad vac cans for years without knowing it.

I have both good used and NOS #265 cans in stock, as well as all the
other '68-on Type 3 cans.

> Perhaps it IS running too lean and the lack of vac advance is masking the
> gas mileage symptom.

Too lean and poor gas mileage seem contradictory.

Have you check your 4 SP connectors for resistance?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org