[T3] oo oo that smell

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 09:41:23 PDT 2013

Your outer generator pulley half has broken. This is a fairly common
problem when you have a voltage regulator which is sticking and just
gets ignored. (Have you been hearing clicking sounds from under the
back seat while driving?)

Gee Wiz - I never noticed any clicking and my VR was replaced 2 years ago.
It's the new
Bosch Black kind. I have an extra brand new one that I keep handy as well.

remove the rear crank bolt. To do this, you will need to remove one spark
plug
and turn the crank to where it's 180 deg past TDC for that cylinder,
stuff a length of rope in there, leaving the end sticking out so you
can retrieve it. Then untorque that crank bolt. To put it back
together, you'll have to remove the rope, turn the crank to where
it's 180 before TDC, reinsert the rope and retorque the bolt.

are you saying to insert a rope into the spark plug hole? Why for shall I
do this?
how shall I know I'm 180 degrees past tdc for that cylinder? I determine
tdc by
the valve geometry on the opposite cylinder (if you remember our previous
discussions)
so I'm not clear on how to determine 180 past or before tdc. Is the purpose
of inserting
the rope to prevent the engine from turning and loosing the distributor
drive shaft orientation?
Why not just pull the fan off and tighten the bolts under and put the fan
back on?

Thanks,
Chris