[T3] I miss my Aircooleds in the winter!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 22 08:49:04 PST 2013

On 22 Dec 2013 at 11:35, Keith Park wrote:

> Well Ive been thinking, it's a long hole, a plug wont fit in it and the
> surrounds are very thin, almost like sheetmetal.  I don't think a plug will
> work BUT, if I can drill and cap cast, this area is very flat behind the
> timing belt,

I figured the adjacent areas would be thin, so a plug would not work,
but why not use flexible epoxy to glue your sheet metal patch in
place. I'd avoid the sand, because you don't want that inside your
cooling system, and I doubt if the POR 15 will be any help. If
there's been some outside corrosion scrape off what you can, then
soak it with LPS-3 after the patch is in place.

Can you tell if this rusted from the inside out or from the outside
in? I'm guessing that this is a rather protected area, so the rust
came from the inside. If that's the case, you need to be more regular
about changing your antifreeze. Regardless of the path, this sounds
like it would not have happened if the casting was as thick there as
it was supposed to be.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org