[T3] Tight exhaust valves

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 29 07:29:32 PST 2013

On 28 Dec 2013 at 9:51, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> With Bob, Keith, and Jim telling me I need to get the thermostats & flaps
> installed, I think it would be foolish to ignore their collective wisdom.
> Is this something I can remedy with the engine in the car or would this
> type of a fix require pulling the engine?
>
> I still have the thermostat, but I don't have the flaps anymore.  I do have
> a second fan housing (with flaps) but the flaps there seem rusted in place.

You can do it in the car, but it's not easy. You have to remove the
fans and the fan housings, and you can do this without removing the
muffler if you pull off one piece at a time. You'll also have to
remove the right upper cylinder cover, which can be tough go get off
because of the screws at the front that are hard to get to with the
engine installed.

You will probably have trouble removing and installing the fan bolt,
because the clutch will slip. If it's an AT, you can get a friend to
jam the ring gear with a screwdriver from below, but on an MT, you'll
have to remove a spark plug and feed a length of rope into one
cylinder to hold it. If you do this, make SURE that you're pushing
toward TDC against CLOSED valves. To get this right, you'll have to
remove and reinstall the rope between removing and tightening that
bolt.

You should be able to free up the shaft in your second fan housing,
but first saw a shallow slot in the right end of the shaft, parallel
to the flaps. This will let you check the flap position at a glance
at any time in the future and also check that the shaft is free using
a screwdriver in that slot. It's something VW should have done!

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org