[T3] Tight exhaust valves

Max Welton max_welton_2k at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 30 16:35:21 PST 2013

On Mon, 12/30/13, Jacob Adam Schroeder <jacob.schroeder at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Out of curiosity, in a normal engine on a 50 degree day (F), how long does
>  it take for the flaps to fully open with normal around town driving?  Are
>  we talking a few minutes, 30 minutes, maybe not at all?

>  Jacob

If your "normal" driving is leisurely like mine is, it may never fully open. Unless you are driving uphill. Or accelerate rapidly. Basically anything that calls for more power makes more heat which makes the thermostat open more.

Many people think these things go from closed to open and just stay that way. And that isn't necessarily true. I've watched the thermostat on a stock type-1 engine on the dyno opening during a power pull, then closing a bit between pulls. It's a regulator.

Max Welton
http://www.maxwelton2k.net/