[T3] Generator Belt Tension

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 09:31:19 PST 2013

Hi,
I have been having some issues with my 1970 automatic fastback recently -
the belt tension seems unacceptably loose. My generator is 1 year old,
pulley and belt also one year old. The belt is a Continental 10x1005. I am
using no shims at all and still have no traction when I try to turn the
motor with the nut on the generator the generator just spins without moving
the motor at all. Only if I use my finger to apply defection pressure to
the belt can I use the crescent wrench to turn the motor, and the
deflection is a good one inch. If this were a bug or bus I would be
slipping and overheating. Not sure what is acceptable on a Type 3 but my
car is barely idling at rest and  the generator light is flickering which
usually means timing is too retarded or a loose belt to me.

Last night it completely cut out and left me stranded for an hour. Was able
to start it again only after wiggling the wiring at the solenoid multiple
times. When I got it home I replaced the wire connector at the solenoid and
under the automatic shift to make sure I had good connection. My batteries
were too low to turn it over gave them a quick charge and they were quickly
up to 13.6 after start up. on the charger they show fully charged within 5
minutes of hook up. replaced the spark plugs two days ago and rechecked
that all was good there. Found a fairly big dimple on the points and less
clearance than I wanted so I filed that down and reinstalled. Started it up
today but idle very rough. looks like I'm down again for a while....