[T3] Generator Belt Tension

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Feb 6 12:25:46 PST 2013

On 6 Feb 2013 at 9:31, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> I have been having some issues with my 1970 automatic fastback recently -
> the belt tension seems unacceptably loose. My generator is 1 year old,
> pulley and belt also one year old. The belt is a Continental 10x1005. I am
> using no shims at all and still have no traction when I try to turn the
> motor with the nut on the generator the generator just spins without moving
> the motor at all. Only if I use my finger to apply defection pressure to
> the belt can I use the crescent wrench to turn the motor, and the
> deflection is a good one inch. If this were a bug or bus I would be
> slipping and overheating. Not sure what is acceptable on a Type 3 but my
> car is barely idling at rest and  the generator light is flickering which
> usually means timing is too retarded or a loose belt to me.

Your belt is a little longer than stock, but it's also a bit wider,
which probably makes it okay. I have to put a finger on the belt to
turn the ending with the generator pulley, too. That's normal.

The OE belt size is 9.5 x 1000La. I don't know what the La stood for.

The generator has no effect on idle speed. It sounds like your idle
may be too slow, so look for a different problem.

> Last night it completely cut out and left me stranded for an hour. Was able
> to start it again only after wiggling the wiring at the solenoid multiple
> times. When I got it home I replaced the wire connector at the solenoid and
> under the automatic shift to make sure I had good connection. My batteries
> were too low to turn it over gave them a quick charge and they were quickly
> up to 13.6 after start up. on the charger they show fully charged within 5
> minutes of hook up. replaced the spark plugs two days ago and rechecked
> that all was good there. Found a fairly big dimple on the points and less
> clearance than I wanted so I filed that down and reinstalled.

Get the dwell and timing right. Make sure the valves are adjusted
right.

Has your car been sitting for a long time? If so, your battery may
need a loooong sloooow charge to get it back into shape. Do NOT try
to do this quickly; that will just damage the battery. A slow charge
that takes a week but gets to 14.2 V is what you're after. Do this at
less than 1/2 amp; I like 50-100 mA.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org