[T3] D-Jet /L-Jet

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Feb 14 08:48:47 PST 2013

On 14 Feb 2013 at 10:39, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/13/2013 10:28:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:
>
> On 13 Feb 2013 at 19:20, Keith Park wrote:
>
> > What Id like  to know is WHERE are the trigger points on the Cosworth
> engines
> > That  used the D jet?  It AINT in the distributor!
>
> What Cosworth  engines? Are you SURE they were D-jet? There's a lot of
> confusion out  there.
>
> When Toyota first introduced the MR-2, Road & Track had an  article
> about it that talked about it's D-jet FI engine. I was pumped! I  went
> right out to a dealer to look at one, only to discover that it wasn't
> D-jet at all. (L-jet, perhaps?)
>
> Actually it was a modified D-Jet system, in that it used some Rochester
> parts like the variable fuel pressure regulator, along with 2 fuel pumps. I
> drove 1 in 2011, and it really ran great.

What did you see that looked D-jet? I didn't see anything that looked
right, to me. No pressure sensor, L-jet style injectors, L-jet type
air-flow metering, etc. The variable fuel pressure regulator was also
an L-jet feature.

I agree that they seemed like really neat cars. Too bad they weren't
as successful as the Miata. I like the mid engine concept, like the
914s, but I suspect Toyota did it better.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org