[T3] Single Circut Master Cyl and wheel cyl kits? Or parts to assemble?

Soren Jacobsen snj at pobox.com
Sat Feb 16 14:13:00 PST 2013

On Feb 14, 2013, at 1:05 PM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> I've never seen a problem with the rubber in NOS kits or cylinders,
> but I understand that the metal bores can sometimes rust in storage,
> so I always check those before I sell or use them. The cup in Soren's
> photo looks like a very typical, very used, rubber cup.

The outside of the master cylinder that cup came from was immaculate, so I'm inclined to believe it never saw any use.  Thankfully, that rotten cup was the only bad part.  I wish the rest of my brake system had such smooth cylinder bores (but I honed them and they haven't leaked yet -- fingers crossed).  Locating front wheel cylinders for the early cars isn't so easy these days, so if mine start leaking in the future, I may have to get them sleeved.

> The master cylinder dia is not stamped on the MC, it's a raised
> casting mark

Doh!  Of course.

Soren