[T3] Mystery Fix...solved

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 14:33:12 PST 2013

The "Mystery Fix" to the problem of stalling just after starting seems to be solved.  No need to try different fuel pumps or relays, etc.
The villain was a hidden break in one of the three wires to the plug for the trigger contacts.  The break was covered from sight by some shrink wrap from a repair a year or so ago.

Apparently, it only now totally separated, where, before, just messing with points and things nudged it, temporarily into adequate contact...but each nudge served to also finally break the frayed wire.  Seeing it was a lot easier than doing electric checks of all the wires....a job I haven't mastered.

This is Old Car Syndrome...as so many wires have become as hard as some of our arteries, and as brittle as our bones.

All three of those Trigger Point wires are white...indistinguishable.   If one were to, say, put in fresh new wires (to last another 40 years), going back to at least outside the hot, oily engine compartment,  how to assure that the exact right wire goes to the exact right place in the plug?

Related:  A shop owner mechanic who used to work on regular REAL VW's said that if one soaks a dry fuel pump before installing, it only need be for over-night, and it could be soaked in diesel, kerosene, or heating oil.