[T3] Stinking hood

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 5 16:45:00 PDT 2013

On 5 Jul 2013 at 12:48, B Fye wrote:

> I'm still fighting my hood latch popping on the purple notch back.
> I've moved the latch around, checked the release for movement and
> still no joy.  So, do I need to shorten or lengthen the rod latch?
> Adjust the rubber bumpers?  Any other thoughts?  I really don't want
> hood pins unless I have to.

The first thing to check is that the latch mechanism is "relaxing"
all the way back to the lock position once you release the cable.
Check this by reaching under the latch and pulling the cable anchor
in the non-release direction.

If you find that it's sticking partway open, you may need to lube the
mechanism, or take the cable out and lube it.

On one of my cars, I just have to remember to reach under and "lock"
it before I try to close the hood.

Shortening the upper mushroom is the wrong way to go. This is a one
time setting that should never change. If it used to work, it should
still work unless you've changed something on the body. If the
mushroom stem is too short it will not get far enough into the latch
to get caught; if it's too long, you'll be able to push the hood down
farther even after it's latched.

As Dave said, it may help to screw the rubber bumpers in a bit while
you adjust things, then screw them out once everything else works.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org