[T3] Stinking hood

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Jul 6 05:49:17 PDT 2013

In a message dated 7/5/2013 7:45:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 5 Jul 2013 at 12:48, B Fye wrote:

> I'm still fighting  my hood latch popping on the purple notch back.
> I've moved the latch  around, checked the release for movement and
> still no joy.  So,  do I need to shorten or lengthen the rod latch?
> Adjust the rubber  bumpers?  Any other thoughts?  I really don't want
> hood pins  unless I have to.

The first thing to check is that the latch mechanism  is "relaxing"
all the way back to the lock position once you release the  cable.
Check this by reaching under the latch and pulling the cable anchor
in the non-release direction.

If you find that it's sticking  partway open, you may need to lube the
mechanism, or take the cable out  and lube it.

On one of my cars, I just have to remember to reach under  and "lock"
it before I try to close the hood.

Shortening the upper  mushroom is the wrong way to go. This is a one
time setting that should  never change. If it used to work, it should
still work unless you've  changed something on the body. If the
mushroom stem is too short it will  not get far enough into the latch
to get caught; if it's too long, you'll  be able to push the hood down
farther even after it's latched.

As  Dave said, it may help to screw the rubber bumpers in a bit while
you  adjust things, then screw them out once everything else works.

Brian, IF the crash damage forced the apron down a little, then yes, you
would need to lengthen it. I'd do like Jim mentioned though, and check the
latch and cable too.

I too have one of those latches Jim mentioned. It's on Sue's car. I still
have yet to understand why it does that though, as it's never been hit
there.

I think you have to set "pre-tension" on the latch for it to work
correctly (with the cable adjustment). It's been a while since I've had to do
something like that though.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction