[T3] Brake Pedal Pushrod?

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Jul 12 19:40:31 PDT 2013

In a message dated 7/12/2013 7:39:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

So what changed? I've looked at the pans, and there's no change
listed as of that VIN, and no change for the pedal cluster then,
either. I can't find anything else that changed at that VIN. I know
Bob H. has been down this road, and he even has a photo of the 2
styles of pushrods, side by side. The late pushrod is a lot longer,
right, Bob? Did you have to replace your pushrod when you upgraded?

To be honest, I don't know what changed either. Pans, and toe panel
section are alike, so that's not it. I've never measured the pedal  cluster
location to see IF the difference might be in it's location. I  only mention that,
as in 68 the tunnel DID get a new boxier shape  (in preparation for AT). VW
even changed the location of the shifter with the  new tunnel.

Yes, I did swap to the later longer pushrod. The difference is 15+ mms. I
only say that, as the stock early pushrod is 143.5 mm, while the late needs
to  be 153.5 mm, plus the extra section of threaded rod inside to get it
longer.  That's the problem you run into with the early pushrod, you don't have
enough  length to get to the 153.5 mm length. I always thought that the
extra length  was to make sure the front circuit worked, if you had a failure
of the rear  circuit (safety feature). I will say my brakes do work very
well, with a nice  solid pedal right at the top of the stroke though. Combined
with the DoT 5  brake fluid, they're very good. : )

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction