[T3] Brake Pedal Pushrod?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 12 21:32:22 PDT 2013

On 12 Jul 2013 at 22:40, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> To be honest, I don't know what changed either. Pans, and toe panel
> section are alike, so that's not it. I've never measured the pedal  cluster
> location to see IF the difference might be in it's location. I  only mention that,
> as in 68 the tunnel DID get a new boxier shape  (in preparation for AT). VW
> even changed the location of the shifter with the  new tunnel.

If you check out the replacement pan parts, you'll find lots of notes
to replace various parts for various different earlier VINs, but none
of those changes occur at the 3x7 123 nnn region, and none mention
replacing the pushrod, so I don't think they moved the pedal cluster.
(Unless they did, and forgot about it when writing it up in the parts
list. That would be unusual, but not unheard of.)

> Yes, I did swap to the later longer pushrod. The difference is 15+
> mms. I only say that, as the stock early pushrod is 143.5 mm, while
> the late needs to  be 153.5 mm, plus the extra section of threaded rod
> inside to get it longer.  That's the problem you run into with the
> early pushrod, you don't have enough  length to get to the 153.5 mm
> length.

Once you installed the late pushrod, did you have to readjust the
pedal stop to get the free play right? If so, maybe the whole thing
comes down to a change in the relaxed pedal position, to get more
stroke for the tandem MC. If that's what happened, I'd expect the
setting gauge drawing to call out that this was just for cars after
3x7 123 nnn. I hope Dave will check the drawing for this.

If that's what happened, that would move the relaxed position of the
pedals back toward the driver 2-3", which seems like a LOT.

Maybe someone else can tell us whether the pedals on earlier cars are
much closer to the floor.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org