[T3] Brake Pedal Pushrod?

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Jul 13 02:44:51 PDT 2013

I've sent the diagram to Jim.

It starts for Beetles from chassis 119 480 132 (Jan 1969?), but I'm not sure
if that's when dual circuit came in for them, but does not specify a chassis
number for the Type 3, so I presume it applies to all of them.

I guess you would want the brake and clutch pedal in the same plane, so I'm
not sure the brake pedal can be set up closer to the bulkhead, and if you do
that with the clutch pedal, you lose some of the throw, which might not give
full movement on the clutch mechanism.  I may be forgetting the situation,
not having worked on that area for years, but doesn't the stop plate work on
the clutch pedal, rather than the brake?

The Type 3 parts book definitely specifies the longer pushrod from the dual
circuit change-over.  It also specifies the earlier boot for the single
circuit push-rod.

I wouldn't use the shorter brake push-rod on a dual circuit system - I think
you wouldn't get the second system working if the other failed.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club