[T3] Brake Pedal Pushrod?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 12 16:39:48 PDT 2013

Questions about the brake pedal pushrod come up here occasionally,
typically if someone upgrades an early car to a tandem master
cylinder. I've always assumed that the change was due to some
difference between single circuit and dual circuit master cylinders,
but right now I've got a handfull of early Type 3 single circuit
master cylinders in my basement. So I decided to measure them to find
out where the difference was.

It turns out that there is no difference between the geometries of
those 2 versions of master cylinders! Both versions have the same
amount of length in the casting and the same depth of the hole in the
piston.

So I went to the parts lists to try to figure out what changed and
when. The first thing I discovered was that while tandem master
cylinders started at the beginning of the '67 model year, the early
pushrod continued in use for several months, up to VIN 3x7 123 354.
That's up to Oct or Nov of 1966.

So the early pushrod was used with tandem master cylinders for the
first several months of '67 production.

So what changed? I've looked at the pans, and there's no change
listed as of that VIN, and no change for the pedal cluster then,
either. I can't find anything else that changed at that VIN. I know
Bob H. has been down this road, and he even has a photo of the 2
styles of pushrods, side by side. The late pushrod is a lot longer,
right, Bob? Did you have to replace your pushrod when you upgraded?

Right now, it sounds to me like you should not have to change your
pushrod if you update an early car to a tandem master cylinder.

I know I have a drawing from Dave Hall of the gauge to be used to
adjust the pushrod, but I can't find it right now. I'm wondering if
it's only for cars after that VIN.

If you're updating a single circuit pushrod to a tandem, one thing
you might want to be aware of is that the shaft of the early pushrod
is larger in diameter, so it would be best to re-use the rubber boot
from the early master cylinder, because it has a larger hole for the
pushrod.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org