[T3] Checking a Case for Warping

Jeremy Menzies skellzangelz at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 25 20:20:43 PDT 2013

Hey All,
I'm in the process of rebuilding an original '71 motor for my Squareback and I thought I'd poll the list for some advice on checking the case for warping.
Here's the method I know of: clean up the mating surfaces, apply a little gasket compound, torque the case back together with the bearing shells installed then split it again and check to see that the compound is evenly squeezed out on the two halves.
Anyone have another method, perhaps something a little more precise?  Or, should I just ask the machine shop to check it out for me?
I'm a little concerned about the case being warped because upon teardown, I discovered that the motor had been overheated and toasted the #3 cylinder.  Also, 3 of 4 chambers on the heads have cracks between the valves.  Perhaps I should be thinking about a new case altogether?
Any input is helpful.
Thanks,
JeremySF, CA'71 Squareback, MT, FI