[T3] Checking a Case for Warping

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jul 25 22:20:07 PDT 2013

On 25 Jul 2013 at 23:20, Jeremy Menzies wrote:

> I'm in the process of rebuilding an original '71 motor for my
> Squareback and I thought I'd poll the list for some advice on checking
> the case for warping.

Warping of the case is pretty unusual, so it's not something you
would normally worry about. The only times I've seen it were when
some of the 6 nuts on the main bearing studs had fallen off and
allowed the case to spread under the forces exerted by the crank.

You can check for this by bolting the bare case halves together dry,
and then using a thin feeler gauge to see if there is any gap between
any of the main bearing saddle halves. You really don't need to
torque all the bolts, just the 6 main bearing nuts and a few studs
around the #4 bearing.

If there is any gap, it will probably be in the #2 bearing. RIMCO
used to be able to add a shim in there and then align bore the case
and save it.

In my experience, I generally worry more about wear in the bores for
the cam followers. Rimco also used to be able to sleeve those, but
I've never had that done.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org