[T3] Checking a Case for Warping

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Fri Jul 26 14:29:23 PDT 2013

Hey All,
I'm in the process of rebuilding an original '71 motor for my Squareback and
I thought I'd poll the list for some advice on checking the case for
warping.
Here's the method I know of: clean up the mating surfaces, apply a little
gasket compound, torque the case back together with the bearing shells
installed then split it again and check to see that the compound is evenly
squeezed out on the two halves.
Anyone have another method, perhaps something a little more precise?  Or,
should I just ask the machine shop to check it out for me?
I'm a little concerned about the case being warped because upon teardown, I
discovered that the motor had been overheated and toasted the #3 cylinder.
Also, 3 of 4 chambers on the heads have cracks between the valves.  Perhaps
I should be thinking about a new case altogether?
Any input is helpful.
Thanks,
JeremySF, CA'71 Squareback, MT, FI

The engine I rebuilt last year that came out of the parts car we had.  I had
been locked up since 1980 with only 77k MI on it. The PO had ran it low of
oil and threw the number 1 rod.  When we got it all cleaned up it looked
fine till you tried to put the case haves together. Then you could see it
was warped.  Probably from the force of that rod coming loose.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
Rainsville, AL