[T3] beauty rings and hubcaps

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jul 30 20:57:52 PDT 2013

On 30 Jul 2013 at 16:23, fred Simmons wrote:

> hi all, I've been off the list for a while so this is about an old topic.
> but I would like to know what a beauty ring is.

Beauty rings are large aluminum "washers" which fit around the outer
edge of the hubcaps and extend outward almost all the way to where
the balancing weights fit. They have slots that match the slots in
the wheels. They give the impression of chrome wheels.

Beauty rings were replaced from '70-on by silver paint on the outer
rim of the wheel.

> also, what is the correct way/tool for removing hubcaps without
> dinging the paint on the wheel?

The original tool kits came with an Omega-shaped wire loop with its
two ends hooked. You inserted those hooks into the double holes in
the edge of the hubcap and levered the cap off with the jack handle.
One end of the jack handle resting against the rubber sidewall, the
wire loop goes over the middle, and you pull on the other end.

A lot of VW vendors sell decent replicas of this loop.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org