[T3] window washer problem.

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Jun 30 11:29:54 PDT 2013

I find the same problem, but I gave it a thorough cleaning and at the moment
it is sealing!  I do find it necessary to inflate the spare to the pressure
stated on the sticker by the reservoir, which for a Squareback is over 50psi
(54psi from memory?).  If the pressure gets low, rather than isolating the
spare as it should, it seems to empty it, which I assume is the valve in the
device failing.  Up to that point it seems to hold pressure OK.   There
seems no way to open that up to fix it - I assume an internal seal fails
over time.

I've resisted the temptation to electrify the system, but that's really the
only way out when the part is not reliable, and virtually impssible to get
in the higher Squareback rating.  The installation is quite tidy if you use
a micro-switch behind the push button, which isn't too hard to do, but needs
a bit of ingenuity.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club