[T3] Keep FI or go Carb?

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sun Mar 3 08:33:46 PST 2013

Ahh, good to have that door cracked open again for some air. :-)

FI harnesses are fine as long as they are not abused or butchered,
If that has happened they they can be reconditioned or you can get a new
one.  Several NOS ones have been available recently on the SAMBA for about
half the cost of a repro, and good repro's are out there too.

FI is basically plug and play IF the components are working properly.
You install it all, adjust the TPS, start it up and adjust the timing and
idle speed and your good to go, sometimes however you need to go a little
deeper and adjust the aux air regulator for fast idle speed or the head temp
sensor for startup tracking, fairly easy stuff.

If you convert to stock carbs, you have a lot of conversion work and then
you have to get them all adjusted properly, fairly easy for those that know
the carbs but not so if you've never done it.  If you use aftermarket carbs
you have a long road to travel to get them jetted right and setup properly
and then your probably not going to track as well as the stock carbs did.

As for the lower end, do your research, or send the stuff to RIMCO or
Brothers and have them go thru it.  When fitting the new bearings, torque
them up in the case and make sure they are tight in there and the bore is
correct AND that the case is closed around them or you'll have oil pressure
issues.  The biggest problem today is getting quality parts.

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback "Hothe"