[T3] 1970 Fastback front torsion issue!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Mar 3 12:23:47 PST 2013

On 3 Mar 2013 at 10:28, Jared Kohler wrote:

> Passenger side does not have a dimple but, driver side does and it's not trashed. I can see where the retaining bolt had loosened up and began rubbing, (not much as i caught it early) and the dimple is intact. Looks like i can realign everything and tighten. I'm taking photos as i progress. I should have it back together in a few hours.

Sounds great. If that dimple is a bit worn, consider drilling it a
bit deeper. Use a drill bit that's slightly larger than the end of
the set screw. This is a good job for a drill press.

> Now, should the passenger side have a dimple too? Sorta surprised it doesn't??!!

Nope, no dimple on that side. That's the adjustable side. You draw
the parts together with the bolt that goes in the end of the torsion
bar, then lock it with the clamp bolt from the side. You'll note that
the clamp bolt has a flat end, not a cone like the dimple would
expect.

Don't overtighten. There should be a barely perceptable amount of
play in the upper arms. If it's tight, you'll cause rapid wear of the
thrust bushings.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org