[T3] temp gauge

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Mar 23 07:19:34 PDT 2013

On 23 Mar 2013 at 8:46, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> If we had had a gauge, I'd have been nervous about the readings I  would
> have gotten. But since I didn't have, I just cruised along at the speed  limit
> (75mph). Like Russ used to tell us, ignorance is bliss. : )

There are a couple of problems with gauges.

One is that no matter how well calibrated they are, you never really
know where the danger zone is. The fact that the temp is higher than
you're used to, or even higher than you've ever seen before, does NOT
necessarily mean that it's a problem. None of us know exactly where
to start worrying.

The other problem is that even if all your gauges read normal, you
can still be in trouble.

In the end, even with gauges we're still ignorant, just a little less
so. In my mind, the best insurance comes from confidence that the
engine is in good condition, the air cooling system is complete,
intact, and working correctly, and that the mouse nests have all been
removed.  ;-)

It's also important to keep in mind that VW sold the exact same cars
for use in northern africa.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org