[T3] Chris's Mentor

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Thu May 9 05:43:01 PDT 2013

In a message dated 5/9/2013 8:28:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Bobsnotch at aol.com writes:

Years ago, Russ told us of a short cut method of doing a  valve
adjustment,
but I can't find the write up at the moment. But I  think it was  basically
doing 3 valves on 1 side (both #1 valves, and  #2 intake), and 1  valve on
the other side (#4 exhaust), spin the  engine 180, then repeat  the 3
valves on
1 side (both #3 valves, #4  intake, and 1 on the other  side (#2 exhaust),
and put the covers  back on. I'll try and find it (I  might be wrong on
which
other valve  needs to be done), as it might help in  verifying that you'll
be
off  with the method you're trying to use to get #1 in  the correct  spot.

Found it.
A while back, Russ Wolfe suggested another method.

Set Crank to  #1 TDC - adjust intake and exhaust on #1, intake only on #2,
and exhaust on  #4

Rotate the crank 360* to #3 TDC - Adjust intake and exhaust on #3,  Intake
only on #4, and Exhaust on #2.

It cuts the process time in  half.

Ok, I was off on the amount to turn the engine (360, instead of the 180 I
wrote).
Also, Russ said NOT to use the notch on the distributor rim for #1, as
most engine builders put the distributor drive in, incorrectly (they set them
for a type 1 engine).

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction