[T3] Chris's Mentor

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Thu May 9 14:31:02 PDT 2013

I wonder if this idea of 'pretending' TDC is at 24 degrees of advance may be
a consequence of the 009 distributor, and the practice of timing the spark
at an rpm that gives close to max advance.

This is just an attempt to rationalise what is clearly a basic
misunderstanding.  Maybe he's not timing it at idle - which would be done at
TDC on a '71 car (carb or FI).

I was wondering if crankshaft degrees and distributor degrees were being
confused, but I think that would be even worse.

Yes, Russ' method involved having both rocker covers off at the same time -
which I avoid if only because if you jack up one side at a time to do that
side, you don't get the oil dribbling out of the rocker area!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club