[T3] Further Planning

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 7 21:03:36 PST 2013

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - Located in Coastal San Diego County
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TD-T - Dog Wgn
Master's Student, A.S.U., living in north central Mesa, AZ

> From: Bobsnotch at aol.com
> Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 23:42:45 -0500
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Further Planning
>
> In a message dated 11/7/2013 8:41:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> adriel_rowley at hotmail.com writes:
>
> Day Four
> Rock Creek to Toledo, Ohio
> 8 hours ''
>
> Or like Keith mentioned, take I-70, knowing there's a section of toll road
> from Topeka to Kansas City. I want to say it was 4.75 for that stretch,
> when we went thru it last year returning home from the 2012 Invasion. Then it
> would be I-70 across the rest of the way with NO tolls.

If I did I70, I could take the 412 and avoid Denver. But, 55M.P.H. speed limit...

> I-80 across Indiana is a toll road, as is a section of Chicago, along with
> Indiana state line to Toledo, Ohio. If time isn't an issue, then you might
> want to look at going I-94 (east out of Chicago), to I-675, to I-75 south
> to Toledo. It'll be a little longer, but NO tolls. The short section of
> I-80/I-94 in Chicago is 60 cents (last years price).

I am leaning towards I70 unless it is undergoing what the I80 is.

> Or start combining day 4 and day 5 together, by taking I-94 to I-69, and
> head north on I-69 toward Canada. It'll save you some time by cutting off an
> entire corner ( instead of going east, then going north). It'll probably
> save you at least a 100 miles of going out of your way. :O

If I did that, it make that leg 17 hours... I did 24 coming back from Des
Moines, but was younger and no dog...

> It's Like I mentioned on the Samba, for us, we could go across Canada (I'm
> 11 miles from the bridge to Sarnia, Canada, ask Gary), and save 3 hours of
> drive time, but we'd rather caravan with the group (that's part of the fun
> and adventure of an Invasion). : ) Plus, we're going in a VW.

I like to caravan, but be rude, odd, and have to skip Niagara Falls.

How is the crossing at Sarnia, Canada?

Thank you so very much!
Adriel