[T3] Further Planning

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 8 08:00:01 PST 2013

Bob, thank you so very much for the help! :D

> It's a nice crossing (very modern, with lots of booths), but traffic can
> and does back up at times (holiday's are the worst). My last trip across,
> I/we spent 45 minutes on the bridge, then 20 minutes in the room of doom
> (vehicle search). The previous time, there was light traffic on the bridge, but
> still 20 minutes in the room of doom. Both times, the vehicles were empty
> (pick up truck and a minivan). :O But, listening to the Canadian radio
> station, there's been days where traffic has been backed up for over an hour
> entering either country, and it not being a "holiday weekend", or
> construction. (insert rolling eyes icon here)
> That's why we mentioned that it can be a "crap shoot" on getting across
> quickly on the Samba, and according to Dave Pallo, the NY side is kind of the
> same thing at times.

So looks like I should plan on at least three hours then. I will have the trip
items plus a Service Dog.

I will see about finding this station.

> I don't know how highway 412 is, but I-70 from outside of Denver to Salina
> is a very lonely stretch of interstate (especially from Limon CO to points
> east), with not much there other than where the exits are. :O I even
> posted a couple of pics in last years Invasion thread, where we're looking at 2
> lanes of a lot of empty highway, and a pic of us doing 75, in a 75 mph zone.
>
> If you're going that route from AZ (taking I-25), you might want to get
> off I-25, and work your way up state road 71 to Limon, from outside of
> Colorado Springs. It won't be 70 mph, but traffic is fairly sparse (once out of
> the city), and you really only slow down for the smaller towns. Then you can
> pick up I-70, while avoiding going to Denver. I don't know IF it's any
> faster or not though. That's how we went, when we left the Invasion last year,
> as I'm sure others from the east and mid west did.

I was thinking the I25 have more camping opportunities because of the geography.

I am a bit surprised the speed limit is 75M.P.H., but that defiantly better than
412 in the first plan. Though, not sure she can do that all the time as fairly
wound out by then.

Well, if I break down, be better to be on an interstate, right? I am not going
to be paranoid, just not purposely go long stretches where no homes exist for
miles and miles.

Yep, I now see the corner cut via Highway 24, Colorado Springs to Limon. I don't
mind if faster, just would avoid another hill climb and city traffic?

Have a good day!
Adriel