[T3] FI and mechanic problems

Dave Pallo rdavid at rochester.rr.com
Tue Nov 19 19:06:29 PST 2013

[[[I have only had my Fastback for a couple of years and am not a mechanic.
Down here in Cape Cod Massachusetts I have had nothing but problems with
mechanics who claim to be able to fix my car but never did.]]]

Yes, I believe you are experiencing the same issue most find with locating a
mechanic to work on our type 3's nowadays. Even back when these type 3's
first came from the factory with electronic controlled fuel injection - that
was enough for most gas stations at the time to either refuse to work on
them and send you back to the dealer, or they would try to fix a symptom by
"adjusting" the FI and make the problem worse. I believe that is why our
cars got such a bad rap from the general public: lack of trained mechanics
to service these cars. I remember back then - people HATED to take a car
into a dealer for service as they would charge an arm and a leg for simple
things.. and after all - there was a service station around every corner.
"Somebody" other than a dealer might be able to fix it ;-)

Fast forward to finding a mechanic today that knows how to service our type
3's - good luck with that! Maybe out on the west coast there are more
knowledgeable VW mechanics kicking around, but that is not the case over
here on the east coast.

I commend you for becoming your own mechanic and enlisting help and getting
your hands dirty. Nobody will pay more attention to and take better care of
your ride than you!

Dave Pallo

'72 Square ~ Elwood

Fairport, NY