[T3] EFI conversion

SAW DUST sawspatch at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 13 07:42:39 PDT 2013

On Oct 12, 2013, at 6:26 PM, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Sorry I'm late to the party, but I've been without a computer for over a
> week (it was in the shop).
> Personally, I'd abandon the existing fuel line in the tunnel (too
> restrictive for a return for the FI system), and run 2 new 5/16ths lines under  the
> car, along side the tunnel (cap the ends of the old line). I went that
> route with my 71 Notch, that I rebuilt a few years ago. On it, I used adel
> clamps (metal band style clamps, with a rubber layer to prevent chaffing), and
> drilled and tapped the tunnel for anchor points (you could use self tapping
> screws too). By placing the lines there, they were outside the car, held
> tight  to the pan (in case your car is lowered), and were new (no rust inside
> to clog  the new injection parts). I also used the ford ranger fuel pump
> (Airtex #  E2000), and moved the pump to the center of the beam, using a stock
> type 3  fuel pump mount. Granted I was using an FI tank, that set up worked
> great, and  the car was lowered 2 splines up front (with 195-60-15 tires),
> and  dropped 1 spline plus in the rear (with 205-65-15 tires). I never  had
> it hit the fuel lines, and I live in an area with some rough roads,  and
> really rough rail road crossings. :O
>
> However, since you're using the 67 tank, you'll want to add a sump, or
> surge tank to keep the pump primed all the time. You could add a bolt  on
> fitting to the fuel filler neck to use as a return (if you don't  want to weld on
> the tank), but you'll need the surge tank for sure.
> I hope this helps.
>
> Bob 65  Notch S w/Sunroof and IRS aka Krusty
> 64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
> 71  Square-vert under  construction

Bob,
Thanks for joining the party. All great info so far by everybody, THANKS !!

I was really hoping that someone who had done what I'm attempting would chime in and it sounds like i have a very similar goal. A few questions for ya.
#1 your thoughts on the option of doing a weld on fuel sump Vrs. The sump tank. How big is said sump tank and where would I locate this tank if I choose that path.
#2 the Ford fuel pump is a good idea but my FI Kit has a fuel pump included.  the stock fuel pump bracket, Is this welded to the beam or is it a bolt on item? Is this factory bracket available to purchase , nos or used?
#3 Was it to difficult to run the fuel lines through the tunnel or Just not worth the effort? I have to say, having the fuel lines so exposed would make me very nervous.
#4 ALSO, with my bigger motor I'm adding a oil filter and a oil cooler with fan. I was hoping the cooler would fit above the transmission attached to the underside of the body. Any ideas or good solutions for this approach ?? Would you install the cooler somewhere else, if so, why?

Thanks again for sharing all of the info and advice for the type3 world. It's all really incredible the depth and experience that goes into all the subjects covered in this group. Amazing!!!

SAW
San Diego
67 Notch