[T3] On the path to a daily driver, now what?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 19 18:49:40 PDT 2013

On 19 Sep 2013 at 13:51, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> I mentioned previously (about a year ago) that I have been resurrecting my
> 1972 Squareback from sitting in storage for 7 years.  It was previously my
> daily driver.
>
> I have done the following:

>    - New spark plugs & wires

Don't throw the old wire away. If they were the originals, they had
irreplacable dist cap ends that are nicer than anything you can buy
today. I never replace OE wiresets, only the parts that have gone
bad: the wire itself, open SP connectors, and hardened air seals.

> I am comfortable with most engine/brake-related tasks, but transmission and
> suspension stuff scares me.  So my question is, before I start driving this
> on a daily basis, is there anything else I should do (or, have a shop do on
> my behalf)?

Your list is pretty complete. You should drive the car some and then
do all the tuneup stuff again (dwell, timing, valves.) They can
change as you wear the cobwebs away.

Grab the distributor rotor and twist it CW. You should feel it turn
against some spring force and it should snap back smartly when you
release it. If it doesn't, the mech advance is frozen and the car
will never perform properly. The '72-only vac advance is also
problematic, and expensive. I assume yours is okay since you managed
to time it. (I assume you followed the special '72 timing
instructions in the Bentley. No one else gets it right.)

If the side windows are hard to roll up and down, pull off the vinyl
panels and the water shield, and lube the lift track on the bottom.
This makes a huge difference in our cars. It will also keep you from
breaking something.

You might also want to make sure the water drains for the air intake
in front of the windshield are clear.

> Should I change the transmission fluid (last changed 10 years ago)?
> Is there anything with the front suspension that should be inspected or
> maintained?

They're probably fine.

> Should I have any wheel bearings or CVs repacked?

Check the CV boots. If any are torn, replace the boot and repack the
CV.

> New shock absorbers (I still have the originals on there)?

Never replace OE shocks unless they have gone bad. They are better
quality than anything you can buy. They will be either good or bad,
nothing in between.

> Any other life & safety type items that I should get checked out?  I trust
> you all over a self-interested mechanic.

Check your seat belts. If they are stiff and hard, they are full of
dried sweat, etc. You can do wonders by removing them and washing
w/soap & water and lots of rinses. You'll be amazed at the difference
this can make.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org