[T3] On the path to a daily driver, now what?

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 13:51:02 PDT 2013

I mentioned previously (about a year ago) that I have been resurrecting my
1972 Squareback from sitting in storage for 7 years.  It was previously my
daily driver.

I have done the following:

   - Changed oil (twice now)
   - Drained fuel tank
   - Replaced all fuel lines with new rubber
   - Installed Jim's fuel overflow kit
   - I have Jim's fuel tank vent kit, but I have not yet installed it (my
   metal lines are pristine and still open)
   - Tune up (valves, timing, etc.)
   - New spark plugs & wires
   - New battery
   - Greased the trigger contacts
   - Checked compression (each around 135 psi)
   - Checked fuel pressure (around 28 psi)
   - Greased the front end
   - New rims (old ones were too rusted) and tires
   - Rebuild Master Cylinder and Front Calipers (thanks Jim!)
   - New brake hoses
   - New OTT exhaust

I am comfortable with most engine/brake-related tasks, but transmission and
suspension stuff scares me.  So my question is, before I start driving this
on a daily basis, is there anything else I should do (or, have a shop do on
my behalf)?

Should I change the transmission fluid (last changed 10 years ago)?
Is there anything with the front suspension that should be inspected or
maintained?
Should I have any wheel bearings or CVs repacked?
New shock absorbers (I still have the originals on there)?

Any other life & safety type items that I should get checked out?  I trust
you all over a self-interested mechanic.

Thanks!

Jacob