[T3] Wiper motor

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Apr 20 17:41:52 PDT 2014

On 20 Apr 2014 at 15:51, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2014, at 7:59 PM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:
>
> > You could also be on the lookout for a pair of the 6 mm (I think)
> > replacement pinch clamp versions. Those would be your very best
> > option, as they worked very well, but they will be hard, or
> > impossible, to find.
>
> You can say that again!  I've been looking for a couple years now, and I've only seen a single wiper arm of that style come up for sale.  However, clamping early Bug arms are fairly easy to come by, and I had some to spare, so I made some Frankenstein arms that have worked wonderfully.
>
> I wrote about it here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=533211

Nice work. I never thought about the likelyhood that there were
equivalent Beetle parts that could be modified. BTW, I mentioned that
the 2 diameters were 8 & 6 mm, but looking at the parts list, I see
them listed as 7 & 5 mm. Those 5 mm shafts are terribly small.

I was lucky, my '69 came with the pinch clamp arms, but one of them
was only pushed onto its shaft 3-4 mm, because of the burrs that the
previous set screw had left. It was fortunate that it hadn't fallen
off. I fixed that rather quickly by filing off the burrs and fitting
the arm all the way down.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org