[T3] Wiper motor

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Apr 20 17:54:35 PDT 2014

In a message dated 4/20/2014 3:47:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

No, there were 2 different styles: One style used a grommet
(essentially a pair of joined flat washers) and the other just used 2
rubber flat washers. The grommet reduces the size of the hole, so
I've  often wondered if the holes in the body were actually all the
same size.  That might be the case if early cars used the grommets,
which reduced the  hole size, and late ones, which had the larger
bushing diameters, used the  2 flat washers and made full use of the
hole in the body.

I believe you're correct. Although I think the 68-69 might have  used the
grommet style seal as well, since they got the larger diameter shafts  and
bushings. Prior to that, just rubber washers were used on both sides of  the
opens (4 rubber washers).

I think the parts book might be off on this too, as we've found  other
irregularities in it over the years. I should point out that even the  t-34
parts book has it's issues as well, so it might be a case of VW  superceding
items in them, without regard to some of the "older models".

I found that out the hard way when I was doing the upper door glass  seals
on my own t-34, in that the new re-pop seals were for the 66 to 69  models,
and 65 and earlier used a completely different seal. The parts book  however
only called out the later seal, with no mention of the earlier version
that's actually needed to get the glass to seal. Add to that, there was a very
early version of that same seal that was used on the 62 models only. :O

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction