[T3] E C U Units

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Dec 1 19:04:17 PST 2014

On 1 Dec 2014 at 17:59, William Sills wrote:

> I have a couple of the factory FI testers, the Bosch type with the
> meter on it, and the vw "traffic light" one. They are designed to test
> with the car connected. The plug from the tester connects between the
> ecu and the harness to the car. The best test for a ecu maybe to plug
> it into a known good car, and see of it still runs properly. -Bill

There are at least 3 different Bosch testers. I have the less
desirable of the late version: It has poor quality switches. The
early version won't test the later FI cars.

I really don't care for the VW one. It doesn't tell you what it sees;
it just tries to make the diagnosis itself and give you the answer.
Unfortunately the answer is often wrong. I guess the problem is that
it's smart, but not smart enough.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org