[T3] E C U Units

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Dec 1 19:04:18 PST 2014

On 1 Dec 2014 at 11:04, Tim Keohane wrote:

> I finally found the link to the electronic components in my 73 FI. (
> classicvw.org ) I checked my stash of electronic control units and see
> I have (1) 311 906 021 C ND (2) 311 906 021 D units. I'm looking for a
> 311 906 021 E to match my car and "stash" as a spare.

The C is for the first half of '70 and the D fits from there to the
end of '71.

There are actually 2 different E versions. You have to look at the
Bosch number to tell the difference.

'72 got one ending in 028

'73 got one ending in 048

The 048 superceeds the 028.

In general, while people tend to like to have spares, the brains tend
to be VERY reliable. I've never had to replace one, but I have been
sent a couple that were bad. The only way I know of to test one would
be to put it on a car of the right year and try it. I don't think it
tales a long test drive to determine. It will either work or it
won't.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org