[T3] Engine teardown

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 06:47:32 PST 2014

Chad,

Thank you, this is very helpful and I appreciate your referrals too.  I'm
glad to know I'm not the only one going through this at the moment.

4. I couldn't tell from the pics, but check your thermostat. You can check
> it in a pot of boiling water, but leave it in the bracket. If it extends
> too far it will be ruined. If you're missing pieces, hunt the classifieds
> on TheSamba as you can usually come up with a working set. The thermostat
> will help get your engine to operating temperature as quickly as possible
> and that is doubly important when you're running FI. Don't listen to anyone
> telling you it's not necessary or to just wire the flaps open. It is
> important!

The engine I just pulled did not have a thermostat (or the flaps), but I
have recently acquired everything I need.  I will test the thermostat in
the bracket with a heat gun to see if it still expands/contracts as it
should.

> 5. When you're reassembling, make sure you have the spacers that go between
> the intake runners and the head. Don't use the metal gaskets that come in
> the seal kit, you'll need some cardboard paper ones. My local VW place
> carries them in a "universal" size that you can trace your spacer over and
> cut out. One on each side of the spacer.

I do need to locate a set of spacers.  I did not have them on the engine I
pulled and the set from my spare engine was way beyond repair.  Aside from
scouring the classifieds on Samba, is there a place that sells these (or
something that can be made to work) or does anybody here have an extra set?

Jacob