[T3] Engine teardown

Chad brakeman22 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 21:38:48 PST 2014

I'm in the middle of a stock rebuild as well and I'll just throw in a few
tips that I learned from research. There is a washer on that pulley bolt,
but I don't think there are any shims.

1. Good call on the cw crank. DPR machine in Santa Ana CA is a pretty good
outfit and they will do an exchange for I think around $150 for a "stock"
69mm cw crank. They have them ready to ship and they are pretty damn good
people.

2. I don't think much goes wrong with the actual breather other than the
absence of the spring or the brillo pad filter. Depending on if it's a late
or an early style there is a hose that goes from the breather to the oil
filler tube and I know that hose is usually toast.

3. I would opt for new p/c and if you're not afraid to spend some money
(~$400), I would say go for forged mahle's.

4. I couldn't tell from the pics, but check your thermostat. You can check
it in a pot of boiling water, but leave it in the bracket. If it extends
too far it will be ruined. If you're missing pieces, hunt the classifieds
on TheSamba as you can usually come up with a working set. The thermostat
will help get your engine to operating temperature as quickly as possible
and that is doubly important when you're running FI. Don't listen to anyone
telling you it's not necessary or to just wire the flaps open. It is
important!

5. When you're reassembling, make sure you have the spacers that go between
the intake runners and the head. Don't use the metal gaskets that come in
the seal kit, you'll need some cardboard paper ones. My local VW place
carries them in a "universal" size that you can trace your spacer over and
cut out. One on each side of the spacer.

6. While you're waiting on your case, it might be a good idea to get your
injectors cleaned, jetted and pulsed. www.witchhunter.com has a pretty easy
ordering system where you just print off a sheet fill out what you want and
order them. I think they are around $22 an injector and they'll give you a
printout of your injectors performance.

7. I'm almost 100% sure that any stock VW cam will work with the FI system.
Just make sure you use a stock cam and lifters if you get a new one.

8. Test your AAR valve and clean it if necessary. You would have noticed a
hunting idle if it was staying open after the motor was warmed up.

That's as much as I can think of now. I'll let other guys chime in as far
as which parts you can/should reuse. Good luck!

Chad