[T3] Engine teardown

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 21:15:57 PST 2014

I pulled my engine this past weekend and began the tear down process.
Recall I was having an issue where the clearances on my exhaust valves
began shrinking incredibly fast (from .006 to zero in < 1000 miles, on two
separate occasions).

Some pictures are here, if anybody is interested:
https://plus.google.com/photos/110222907858291551656/albums/5855322357304526225

I have already removed the heads.  I noticed that the exhaust valve "face"
was white, whereas the intakes were blackish.  Also, once the rockers were
removed, I could see some noticeable variation between a few of the valve
stems.  Any other observations from my pictures?

I have been looking for an excuse to rebuild my engine, so I'm going with a
complete rebuild--I'm glad I did too, the pulley bolt was practically loose
when I put the 30mm socket on it to remove it (and no shim . . . should
there have been one?).  This will be fun and I'll have lots of questions.
I'm older, (hopefully) wiser, and more patient now than when I rebuilt it >
15 years ago.  I want to stick with a 1600 and the stock set up (except for
a counter-weighted crank).

First: I have 3 crank case breathers.  In selecting which one to use for my
fresh engine, how can I tell which one is "best"?  Does anything ever go
wrong with these?

Second: For a complete engine rebuild, which parts are worth re-using?  I
have the Wilson, Muir, and Bentley books, but parts quality & availability
have changed since then.  I'm particularly curious about rods, pistons,
cylinders, cam, lifters, and pushrods.  I have 3 "parts engines" in various
states of tear down and I'm curious whether it is worth pulling those
parts, lugging them all to my machine shop guy, and having him sort it out
or whether good new parts are available.

Third: Thoughts on whether I should send in one of my 1972 T-3 cases or
whether I should use a newer universal case (the one I just pulled)?

I'm sure more questions will come.

Thanks,

Jacob