[T3] Engine teardown

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Feb 9 10:13:46 PST 2014

On 8 Feb 2014 at 21:15, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> Some pictures are here, if anybody is interested:
> https://plus.google.com/photos/110222907858291551656/albums/5855322357304526225

Looking at your photos of the intake ports, I can see that they had
the Beetle style metal gaskets installed in them. Type 3s never used
these gaskets, and they will cause real problems if used with the FI
or stock carb manifolds. I'm not sure if you can get away with them
with some of the aftermarket carb manifolds; they may work with some,
but not with others.

I think Bob has a photo that makes clear the air leak that these
gaskets create when used with the FI manifolds.

Air leaks here will make the engine run lean and hot.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org