[T3] Southern dis-Comfort

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Mon Feb 10 18:23:18 PST 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Chris
Slaymaker
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 5:29 PM
To: type3-vwtype3.org at lists.vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Southern dis-Comfort

Here in Tennessee, things haven't been so bad. We have dodged the bullet
more than once.  That is to say, they have brined the streets in preparation
for inclement weather that didn't come to pass.  I'm not sure what the brine
consists of, but it's part salt (obviously) and part sugar (I think to help
it lay and stay).  I have two air-cooled VWs that I don't want to take out
on the roads like this, but what am I gonna do?  I drive Lurch when the
weather's really bad and I baby Foster as much as possible (Foster gets
twice the MPG as Lurch).

When Atlanta got socked in, Knoxville had about 2 inches.  I stayed home
that day (because I could).

As I write this, the streets are brined (must have happened last night) but
the weather today has been dry.  Snow is expected for tomorrow, but no
accumulation.  On Wednesday, another system moves through with the potential
for a few inches of snow here, but about a foot of snow in the next county
(Smoky Mountains).

I have no problem driving in it, but I have to watch out for all those
people that do.

Chris Slaymaker
1971 Westfalia "Lurch"
1971 Squareback "Foster"
Knoxville, TN

Yea it seems we have had some situations here in the southeast US this
winter where the further south you are the more chance of frozen
precipitation. That's the way the forecast looks for tonight and tomorrow.
Non for you in Tennessee some for us in north Alabama more snow and ice for
central Alabama. Similar situation in neighboring states. Wednesday may be
more snow or ice for both of us.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
71 STD. Beetle