[T3] T-4>T-3...

FE Meek ftalker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 09:10:29 PST 2014

Hi there
Other than the challenges of adaptive engineering, I really have never understood the "T4 into a T3" conversion.  This, I suppose, is the VW example of fitting a 911 six into a 356 body....it can be done, but why?  Each of these Porsches and VW's was engineered fairly well for their purposes, and the aftermarket community has contributed much to the enhancement of the stock formulas.  I am not at all criticizing the efforts of those intrepid, (and more wealthy), individuals who have taken these leaps.  I just don't get it.
I have owned VW's and Porsches for years, and I have always found ways to "improve" a bit on the original, (now fifty and sixty year old designs), for a more modern edge on reliable, established engineering.  For instance, full flow filtration on the early VW and Porsche engines makes sense for many reasons, even though many of us who've been there in the "day," know of not a few of these cars without the full flow advantage going 100K with good and timely service and regular oil changes.  But, I have full-flowed all of my VW's from my first one.  Also, when I thought that speed, acceleration were limited for my taste, I built bigger engines, still maintaining the ideas of reliability and longevity.  I currently have a split-window T2, the engine for which I rebuilt in 1977.  Its full flow, externally cooled power plant has motored along to nearly 80K, (with reduction boxes), and is still strong.  My T3 Square, which attended the first invasion in Parma, has a 2110cc motor, which is both full flow and electric fan cooled with Webers that pull this wagon along at any speed that I believe this design allows.  On one lonely, straight stretch of open, dry Western highway, it reached well over the capacity of the speedometer to accurately calculate.  And, I live in NW Colorado, where mountain passes are a standard landscape feature and, if I so desire, can accelerate past most vehicles safely and quickly.  When I drive more sanely, I can achieve thirty plus MPG at maximum road speeds.
So, I look at these motor swaps with some curiosity, amusement and interest.
Best regards,
FE Meek

Sent from my iPad