[T3] Type 3 VS Type 4 Final Drive

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 14 05:58:28 PST 2014

On 14 Jan 2014 at 5:21, Adam Douglass wrote:

> I dropped the engine last night. The transmission must have suffered a
> failure when everything happened. When you spin the pump shaft you can
> feel it skipping over teeth. Something inside the auto unit is broken.

I'm really sorry to hear this. It sounds like the ATF pump gear
spline teeth have sheared off.

When you install the TC into the bell housing, you must check with a
straightedge to make sure that NO PART of the TC sticks out past the
plane of the bell housing flange. If it does, you must pull the TC
and check the pump shaft and spin it with your fingers until it drops
into the pump splines way forward inside the AT pump. Don't try to
force anything; it will all go together easily once everything's
aligned.

When the TC is out, this is also a good time to check the splines
inside the TC, to make sure they haven't stripped. Then you can slide
the TC into position turning it until you feel all those splines
engage. Then check again with the straightedge.

If you don't do this, and try to just pull the engine into position
with the engine attaching bolts, you'll shear off the spline teeth on
the pump gear.

If you already did all this, then something else went wrong.

I've dealt with a place in Tucson, AZ that has some Type 3 ATs. He
says he doesn't know their condition, but he'd still want $150 plus
shipping for one. Let me know if that's any help for you. If so, I
can forward his email to you.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org