[T3] Kickdown solenoid

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jan 19 09:58:06 PST 2014

On 19 Jan 2014 at 8:25, Adam Douglass wrote:

> Speaking of, because of this adventure in transmissions I now have 4
> vacuum modules; one of the 70 era ones and 3 of the latest model ones
> that came on type 3 and type 4 cars. I am going to save at least one
> to have an extra. I am going to sell a couple of them. Anyone
> interested in one let me know. I can test them before I ship.

Genuine VW parts will have the VW part # stamped on one face of the
VM. They are also marked by a color stripe around the outside edge.
The '68-'71 FI version is yellow w/ "A" suffix, while the '72-3
version is brown w/"C" suffix. The carb version is the "B" suffix,
and I doubt you'll find one of those in the US. I don't know the
color.

Genuine ones adjust with an Allen wrench, while the aftermarket ones
I've seen use a small flat blade screwdriver.

To be good, they must not have thru leaks (which can be quite small)
which would pull ATF into the intake manifold, and they must not be
bent, so the control plunger is free to move with the diaphram
inside.

I would be interested in at least one of the C/brown ones, if they
are good.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org