[T3] Rear torsion replacement

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Jan 20 07:44:57 PST 2014

In a message dated 1/20/2014 12:59:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rabioklein at aol.com writes:

Ok well I'm going to replace them, so I was actually looking for  any
advice In making this an easier situation. ;) but I will make sure I  already
know my angle on my suspension to bein with so I can atleast have the  height I
have at the moment ;) lower would be preferable but I'm willing to do  the
work to get what is want out of the car I'm going to drive. Anyhoo any
advice in the removal - installation would be great or I guess I old just go  to
YouTube.

About  the only advice I can give, is to get the rear of the  car up about
1.5 feet off the ground. I say that, as you'll need that distance  to get
the rear trailing arm down enough to clear the double spring plate. I  also
remove the clips that hold the rubber brake line in place, to allow the
trailing arm to move. You'll have to remove the outer CV joint bolts (put a  bag
over the CV joint to keep dirt out of the joint, and grease off you), as
they need to come off, so you can drop the trailing arm.

Other than that, it's big pry bars and an angle finder to get the  angles
on both sides the same. I only say that, as getting the spring plates  to
move off the torsion bar (while loaded) is a tough part of the job. It'll
fight you all the way too, until IT gets to a point where it'll just want  to
fall off. BTDT before. Just getting it off the lower stop isn't  enough, as
it'll still be attached to the torsion bar. It has to "pop  off". Once it's
"unloaded", you can take a reading with the angle finder.  If you're staying
the same height, then that's the angle you want to finish  with before
"re-loading" the arm. If you're lowering, you'll want to "re-set  the spring plate
up a notch (or 2) and take a reading.

For reassembly, I use 3 M10 bolts (treaded the entire length, that  are
about 3 to 4 inches long) with some spacers, to help press the  torsion bar
cover back in place (the hard part of the entire job). Use talc  powder on the
rubber, as it doesn't eat the rubber like petroleum products do.  Once the
cover is back on fully, I swap the bolts back to the originals 1 at a  time.

By the way, there used to be some lowering videos on You Tube, but Cugir
(who made them) removed them. It's a real shame, as they were pretty
detailed on doing the job.

As for rear shocks, I like either KYB whites, or KYB gas charged. I  prefer
to keep oil shocks on the front, as our cars aren't heavy at that end,  and
really don't need a heavy duty shock, or a gas charged shock (it kills the
ride).
I hope this helps.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction